Saturday, June 23, 2012

I Got My Hip Replaced

So that, as they say, happened. On Tuesday.

What I do now is I lie around a lot, and when that gets too tiring, I sleep. I'm also enjoying eating constantly and never really feeling full (apparently I'm eating for two), and repeatedly asking people I love to do the same menial tasks over and over ("Can I get the ice pack?" "Can you put this ice pack in the freezer and get the other ice pack?" "Can I have some water?" "Can you get up from being totally asleep next to me and go make me some breakfast and some coffee?" "Can I have the other ice pack again and can you put this one back in the freezer?").

I have the same supine PT exercises they gave me after the last surgery, but what is very, very different is how astonishingly little pain I am feeling. This is day four post-surgery, and I am taking Aleve. Only. No Vicodin, no Percoset, not even any Tramadol. And I am full weight-bearing, with one crutch. I can't quite explain how mind blowing this is to me, after my last experience, but I am enormously grateful, and let's be honest, also enormously lopsided in the one hip (and by the way - if you ever have a shit ton of time and want to read about the minutiae of a much more difficult, much more painful surgery that took a lot longer to recover from, read my heart-wrenching, fascinating blog about it, brilliantly entitled "Paper Or Dysplastic?").

Part of my PT is to also walk as much as I can handle, which is not yet much, but I'm hoping my energy will come back soon (it's not for a lack of eating, I can tell you that much). I think the hip might be eating my energy, as it is, for the third time now, swole up to twice the size of the other. I don't know how many times it can take this swoled business. Anyway, can you get me the ice pack (and a coffee)?

No comments:

Post a Comment